Chicago Landmarks

Haskell-Barker-Atwater Buildings

Wabash Ave. elevation from El platform     Address: <NOBR>18, 22, 28 S. Wabash Ave.</NOBR>
Year Built: 1875-1877; 18 S. remodeled in 1896
Architect: Louis H Sullivan John Mill Van Osdel , Wheelock & Thomas
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: November 13, 1996

Louis Sullivan iron work detail Wabash Ave. elevation from grade These buildings provide the best remaining example of what the east side of the Loop looked like prior to the skyscraper boom of the 1890s. All three buildings were designed by prominent post-Fire architects, including the city's first registered architect, John Mills Van Osdel. The bottom two floors of the Haskell Building were remodeled in 1896 by master architect Louis Sullivan. The upper floors typify post-Fire architecture, with their distinctive round arches and decorative masonry.