Chicago Landmarks

Fine Arts Building

Michigan Avenue elevation     Address: 410 S. Michigan Ave.
Year Built: 1885 addition and remodeling, 1898
Architect: Solon S. Beman
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: June 7, 1978

10th floor murals Window detail Built by the Studebaker company for the assembly and display of their carriages and wagons, this building was converted into studios and theaters for artists and craftsmen in 1898. The renovation involved adding three floors and designing an interior that would reflect the interests of the new tenants. The interior public spaces, including murals on the 10th floor, remain virtually untouched from the 1898 remodeling.